LL-L "Traditions" 2004.08.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 25 14:45:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Troy Sagrillo <meshwesh at bigfoot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2004.08.24 (13) [E]

on 24.08.2004 11.21 PM, Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> What I do, as a visitor to friends in the Low Countries, find
> fascinating, is the back-of-the-toilet-door calendar with everyone's
> birthday on it.

As a Yank in Flanders, I see these calendars all the time. I thought
(mistakenly?) that it was an English custom as well as most I've seen are
printed in English in England.

Reinhard mentioned the German custom of the "party pig" being the one to buy
drinks, pies, cakes, etc. for his or her own birthday celebrations. That is
done in Flanders as well -- and caused me a bit of embarrassment when I
first celebrated my birthday here under the American assumption that my
in-laws would be buying me a birthday cake or pie :-)

Best,

Troy