LL-L "Morphology" 2004.08.25 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 25 20:44:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Montgomery Michael <ullans at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.08.22 (04) [E]

I cannot comment on the practice of using the address forms "Miss" and "Miz"
in the African American community, but among whites in the American South
the traditional pattern is pretty clear: it's "Miss" with given names and
"Miz" with surnames.  The best example that comes to mind is that of Jimmy
Carter's mother, a prominent character in his election campaign of 1976.
She was alternately referred to as "Miss Lillian" and "Miz Carter".  Note
that "Miz" is not a form of
"Mrs.", i.e. it does not imply married status.

I have no idea where this pattern comes from and would be interested to know
if it is known elsewhere.

Certainly the use of "honey" to strangers is very common  in local parts.

Michael Montgomery
Columbia, South Carolina