LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.25 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 25 20:44:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.25 (01) [E/German]

John Feather wrote:
> As they often do, false friends may lurk. I recently
> came across "mor" for the layer of decaying litter in (Swedish) pine
> forests. Any connexion?

Well, the primary meaning of the word "mor" in Swedish is "mother", and this
is how I understand the term. I think this may be related to German
"Mutterboden" (literally "mother soil"), which denotes the fertile top layer
of soil in which plants grow. Since this natural mulch layer is where most
biological activies take place, compounds are broken down and rotting
material is converted into more fertile soil, it provides basic nourishment
for all life forms.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>

Hello John,

The only correct form of the expression is "te allen tijde". 'Tijde', and
not 'tijden', because the noun is clearly singular. Compare the expression
in colloquial speech: 'de hele tijd' (approx. all the time). 'Te allen
tijde' is a rather stilted, time-honoured expression, not normally used in
spoken language. 'Allen' is an old  inflected weak form. We do not use 'ten'
(from preposition 'te' + definite article in the inflected form 'den')
because 'de' is absolutely out of the question before 'al'. In Flemish 'den'
is regularly used as a euphonic form before an initial t,d, r, h  (in some
dialects also before b) in masculine nouns and adjectives preceding such
nouns. 'Den' is indicative of the masculine gender and used to be a great
help for school children in the days when gender was still playing an
important part in Dutch grammar. But 'te allen tijde' and 'ten tijde van' do
not belong to the Flemish vernacular.
I hope these reflection may throw more light on the issue of 'te allen
tijde', which is also a problem and a source of uncertainty to many
Dutch-speaking people as corroborated by the the numerous deviating forms
that you found during your search with Alta Vista.

Kind regards,

Roger Hondshoven