LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.25 (12) [E/Cornish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 25 20:44:42 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.25 (03) [E]

John Feather wrote:
"Regarding the AS invasion of the British Isles, do we need any better
explanation than that with the withdrawal of Roman forces the land was
available for the taking?"

This is absurd! Of course we do! As a Cornishman I can assure you the land
was most definitely not just "for the taking" - it was already inhabited by
Celtic-speaking peoples.

Saying Britain in 520 was "available for the taking" is like saying Poland
in 1939 or France in 1940 were "for the taking".

I realise there is this whole myth of "natural, excusable expansion" applied
to the invasion of Britain but implying the place was terra nullius is, to
me at least, reprehensible. What may seem distant history to the English is
comparatively recent to the Celts they displaced.

Críostóir.