LL-L "Games" 2004.08.26 (01) [E/LS/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 26 15:02:25 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2004.08.25 (13) [E/LS/S]

On 25/8/04 Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> wrote...
> "Gutties" or "a pair o gutties" wad mean "a (hand-held, Y-shaped)
catapult"
Same in Prestonfield the Edinburgh district where I grew up but I think this
was introduced by young relatives of a neighbour from Fife who holidayed
here a few times each year. Before their advent we referred to the device as
a "Sling" and this was still used in other parts of the City.
> "Het" for us wad mean bein "it" in "tag" (or "tig",
Just realised of course that Het means It in Dutch at least. We Scots scouts
camping there were taught to ask the time with (Pardon my spelling) "Oo laat
ist het ?". Could this word have reached Scotland via the Flemish
communities ?
> We haed the English coontin-oot rhymes "One potato, two potato..." an
"Eenie
> Meenie...", the only Scots ane I mind o uizin was the short, nae-nonsense:
>
> Eetle-ottle, black bottle,
> Eetle-ottle, oot!
Oc Sandy Ye bring back memories. We yaised that yin lang afore Ye wiz boarn
but it ganged oan loanger, endin
"Tea an sugar is mah dilight
An O-U-T spells OUT.

Sometimes we'd yaise a richt auld yin that wiz aw noansense.

"Eeenty Teenty Hinnery Minnery
Bob tae Leery Hover Dover

Anither yin wiz..
"As ah went up a Chinses steeple ah met sum Chinese peeple,
An this is whoat thay sed tae me.
"Chicky chicky boom chick, boom chick, boom chick,.
Chicky chicky boom chick.
Yew ur OUT !"

Then there wiz yin that starid by sumbdy askin' "Pick a culur".
Colour was chosen then the count started..
"B-L-U-E spells Blue,
An blue yew must hae oan,
Oar yew ur oot o' this boanny boanny gemme,
Wi a skelp oan the jaw !"
If target had something blue on they were immune and the count continued.
Otherwise they got the skelp and left the game  Good way of passing a long
afternoon.

While in Edinburgh recently we visited The Museum of Childhood where they
were playing a video tape of the classic documentary "The Singing Street"
with kids doing all their singing games in an Edinburgh Working Class
suburb. Although informed tapes were on sale alas there were none available.
Watch out for this one.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."
On 25/9/04 Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> wrote...

----------

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2004.08.25 (10) [E]

On 25/8/04 Jan Strunk <strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote...
> Once a person
> starts the "game" by shouting "stummbumm", all others will shout it too
> as quickly as possible. The unfortunate last one has to do the task.
This is intriguing as I knew a couple of Americans in my Ghana days who
referred to somebody in disgrace as a "stumblbum". Wonder if this is
connected or merely co-incidental ?

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Terminology

Hi all

Now we're on the subject of games - the main expressions used in my school:

Call in 'Hide and Seek' was 'coming ready or not'.
Hide and seek was kinda boring as it just involved finding the people.

The more interesting varient was '50 or less' where you had to make your way
back to a base without being seen. The call here was '50 or less here I
come' and the finder had to count to 50.

The counting to find out who wasn't 'it' was the rather vulgar, but we found
it funny at the time:

Ip dip, dogs**t
F**king bastard
Silly git
You are not it

I'll leave it to you to fill in the stars.

In tag games you said 'had' when you tagged someone.

As said immunity with crossed fingers was accompanied by 'vainlites'.

If two people said the same thing at the same time then you'd say 'jinx' as
quickly as possible, the last person to say jinx was then jinxed and could
not speak until someone said his/her name.

Oh and children's sports shoes, the plimsolls were the black soft shoes only
used for indoor sports, outdoors you'd wear trainers.

Gary

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Games

I wrote:

> In Laich Saxon (Laich German) we caw "tae coont oot" _uut-malen_
(<utmahlen>
> ['?u:tmQ:ln]) an in Northren German _ausmahlen_ (lit. "tae grind oot," lik
> mill or kirn).

I may have remembered this wrong.  It may have been _uut-melen_ (<utmählen>
['?u:tmQ:ln]) an in Northren German _ausmählen_ instead.  Does anyone know?

Tom writes above:

> This is intriguing as I knew a couple of Americans in my Ghana days who
> referred to somebody in disgrace as a "stumblbum". Wonder if this is
> connected or merely co-incidental ?

But doesn't "stumblebum" mean 'awkward/clumsy person'?