LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.26 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 26 15:02:38 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.25 (12) [E/Cornish]

Dan Prohaska wrote:
"I have also heard accounts where vast areas of the continent were
de-populated in the 5th and 6th centuries. It is hard to believe that this
has nothing to do with emigration to Britain."

There were a host of inter-connected catastrophes during the sixth century,
and David Keys in his book Catastrophe: An
Investigation into the Origins of the Modern World (London: Random House,
2000) fairly conclusively - at least to the lay reader - tracks these dwon
as the consequences of vast environmental change following a volcanic
eruption in Indonesia.

Among others, he cites (off the top of my head): the movement of the Turks
from Turkestan; famine in Ireland and the subsequent simplification of Old
Irish; movements of the plague, revolution in Korea and - the greatest
tragedy of them all from my point of view - the Germanic movements that led
to the colonisation of Britain and the displacement of the indigenous
Brythonic speakers there.

It's well-researched and exciting to read - highly recommended.

Críostóir.