LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.26 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 27 17:23:04 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Etymology

Kevin Caldwell said:

"For what it's worth, the Russian word for "sea" is "more" /MOR-yeh/,
etymologically related to the Latin root.  I don't know the etymology
of the Russian word for "lake", "ozero" /OH-zyeh-ruh/."

(I hope Ron does not mind my commenting on this, even though it is a little
out of the realm of the Lowlandic languages.)

Russian о́зеро [ 'o:zjerə ] is an interesting case. It is fully established
in Slavonic, thus: Ukrainian о́зеро _ozero_ ; Old Russian озеро _ozero_ ;
Old Slavonic ѥзеро, Ñ¥Ð·ÐµÑ€Ñ  (used as a translation of Greek λίμνη [ a lake]);
Bulgarian е́зеро ; Serbocroat jе̏зеро _jе̏zero_ ; Slovenian jеzе̑rо,jе̑zеrо,
jе̑zеr (all masculine) and jézera (feminine) ; Czech jezero ; Slovak jazero
; Polish jezioro ; Upper Lusatian jezor, Lower Lusatian jazor.

In the Baltic languages we still find cognates, it is thus clearly related
to Lithuanian ẽžeras, ãžеrаs (lake, pond), Latvian ęzęrs (ibid.), OLd
Prussian assaran (ibid.).

Once we leave the Balto-Slavonic group we find ouselves on shaky ground, and
to me it seems possible that we are dealing with a non-Balto-Slavonic, and
perhaps non-Indo-European word. It is generally said to be connected with
Greek ᾽Αχέρων (the name of a river in the Underworld), Illyrian ᾽Οσεριάτες
_Oseriates_ .. The Illyrian word is intersting perhaps, but I think the
Greek is derived from the verb meaning 'to disgorge' ( ¢eceraw _ekherao:_ ).

Some explanation still seems to be required as to whence this word came.

John Duckworth

Preston, UK