LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.30 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 30 16:33:57 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.AUG.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.29 (06) [E]

Apart from that, what tickles me, & has for a long time, that the 'Anglian'
features of Old English & Modern English are closer to Afrikaans than the
Anglo-Saxon English of King Alfred's Court.

Why would one refer in this context to Afrikaans, which in fact is a very
new language, whereas Afrikaans itself was influenced and has loads of
sound-similarities with "westnederfrankisch" dialect Westflemish?

grtz

denis dujardin
westflanders.