LL-L "Phonology" 2004.08.31 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 31 15:32:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.AUG.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.30 (12) [E]

At 04:29 PM 08/30/04 -0700, Kevin Caldwell wrote:

>Canadian "about" always sounds to me more like "aboat" than "aboot".

I've spent the last few years listening intently for this "Canadian"
marker.  Kevin is right, it does sound "more" like "aboat" than
"aboot".  However, what it mostly sounds like is "ou", pronounced as a pure
diphthong, with both letters sounding something like short "o" and short
"u".  The more typical "American" pronunciation is also a diphthong, but
with the letters long "a" (as in father) and "w" (as in "double or long
u").  However, there is a very wide difference between the way it sounds
from speaker to speaker, though it is always closer to the shorter Canadian
diphthong than it is to the longer American one.

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontaryo, eh?

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Kevin Caldwell wrote:
"Canadian "about" always sounds to me more like "aboat" than "aboot"."

It does to me, too. Only United States scriptwriters hear _aboot_ when they
need a cheap and easy national stereotype, but have managed to popularise
the mis-hearing through sheer repitition.

I think the same goes for the indescribable northern English /u/ which is
habitually written /oo/ by people who should know better. I don't know how
anyone could hear my pronunciation of _bugger_ or _push_ or _pull_ as
"booger", "poosh" and "pool". If anything, they are _bogger_ and _posh_ and
_poll_.

Criostóir.