LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.31 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 31 19:20:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.AUG.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.31 (04) [D/E]

> From: Pyt Berg <pytbergy at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Dutch into English
>
> am trying to ascertain the Dutch words that have come into English
>
> The ones I know about come from
> (a)navagation in 1600+
> (b) and via the Dutch settlement of New Netherland in the USA.
> (Read the book "The Island at the centre of the World")
> (c) Afrikaans.
>
> a. Starboard - Stuurboord,  Stranded (beached) -Strand, Yacht  -Jacht
> b.  Coleslaw - Kohl Sla,  boss - baas, Sinta Klaas - Santa Claus.
> c.  Trek, apartheid, boer??
>
> Can anybody ADD to this list??
>
> Pieter.........................

Too many to list (though I could make an effort), but my source is the
inimitable Nicoline van der Sijs "Geleend en uitgeleend" - Nederlandse
woorden in andere talen & andersom. ISBN90-254-2450-3. I think she planned
(after writing the Leenwoordenboek about words that Dutch had loaned from
other languages) to write a complete book about words other languages had
loaned from Dutch, but I haven't seen it yet.

- into French: _kaper_ and _vrijbuiter_ to _capre_ and _flibustier_
- into German: _stilleven_ to _Stilleben_
- Dutch _makelaar_ to French _maquerel_ back to Dutch _makreel_ and further
into Swedish, Danish and Russian
- _flamenco_ from _Vlaming_
- _baas_ , _brandewijn_ , _dopen_ and _kolf_ via English _boss_ , _brandy_ ,
_dope_ and _golf_ and back to Dutch again in that form
- _potas_ into _potash_ , _Pottasche_ , _potasse_ , _pottaska_ etc

I'd have to reread the book to give you more ;-)

Goeie, Pieter,

Grietje Menger
Scotland

From: GoodbyColumbus at aol.com <GoodbyColumbus at aol.com>

In a message dated 8/31/04 11:07:34 AM Central Daylight Time,