LL-L "Places" 2004.12.02 (07) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 2 20:44:06 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.DEC.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Places" 2004.12.02 (05) [E]

> From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Geography
>
> Hi all
>
> I've got a quick question. I've often heard the term 'Randstad' used
> for the
> urban sprawl in the West Netherlands. Can someone be more precise with
> which
> towns are included in the Randstad, or at least give me a rough
> indication
> of its extent?
>
> Many thanks in advance

At least Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam, Den Haag (the Hague) and everything
inbetween. (up to the coast, so eg. Haarlem as well) Some people include
suburbs like Zaandam, Almere etc. that have a lot of commuters that work in
the big cities.
So most of Zuid-Holland and Utrecht (the province) and the Southern part of
Noord-Holland.

Henno

----------

From: Gustaaf van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: Geography

Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com> asked:

> I've got a quick question. I've often heard the term 'Randstad' used for
the
> urban sprawl in the West Netherlands. Can someone be more precise with
which
> towns are included in the Randstad, or at least give me a rough indication
> of its extent?

I assume the definition will vary according to whom you ask, but I
see it as three-quarters of of an annulus starting at Nieuwegein/
Utrecht in the very center of the Netherlands, then counterclock-
wise containing Hilversum, Amsterdam, Haarlem, Leiden, Den Haag,
Delft, Rotterdam, and possibly the Dordrecht/Zwijndrecht area.

Gustaaf

----------

> I've got a quick question. I've often heard the term 'Randstad' used for
the
> urban sprawl in the West Netherlands. Can someone be more precise with
which
> towns are included in the Randstad, or at least give me a rough indication
> of its extent?

I don't think there is any clear or official definition of what exactly
is included in the Randstad. I'd say it includes parts from Flevoland,
North Holland, South Holland, and Utrecht. To name some cities:
Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Utrecht, Almere, and in general any
place in the area surrounding those cities.

Henry

----------

From: Mathieu van Woerkom <mathieu at brabants.org>

Gary Taylor  wrote:

> I've got a quick question. I've often heard the term 'Randstad' used for
the
> urban sprawl in the West Netherlands. Can someone be more precise with
which
> towns are included in the Randstad, or at least give me a rough indication
> of its extent?

Gary, you can find a map of the Randstad here:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/randstad.jpg. But sometimes people call everything
in that area 'randstad'. The area 'inside' the randstad sprawl is called
'Groene Hart'.

Mooie beeldspraak, nietwaar? :-)

Regards,
Mathieu