LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.02 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 3 03:38:08 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.DEC.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.02 (08) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Delectables
>
> Grits are made from ground, dried hominy.  Hominy (< Narragansett
> _appuminnéonash_ < _apwóon_ '(3rd) cooks' + _minneash_ 'fruit', 'grain')
> is
> (Indian) corn (maize) that is preserved with lime (I believe), which gives
> it a strange texture.  The gritty flour is cooked with water and (plenty
> of)

Not lime, but a lye solution actually.

> salt.  Most people serve grits runny, others thicker.  Mine is creamy
> because I stir it continuously while cooking.  I've never had jalapeño
> peppers in grits.  However, I do make cheesy grits (a bit of a fad up here
> at the moment), even eat it myself occasionally, because the cheese (fat)
> keeps carbohydrate absorption down, and, yes, the cheese helps a great
> deal
> in other areas as well (such as flavor).  In any case, grits are no good
> unless they come with plenty of salt and have loads of freshly greated
> pepper on top, besides a pad of butter melting on top.

The only way I eat (hominy) grits is with butter and a large spoonful of
sugar stirred in.  Cuts the bitterness.  Plain hominy (whole kernels of corn
soaked in a lye solution so that the outer skin peels off and the kernel
swells up), on the other hand, I'll eat without further embellishment.

This business with the cheese and the jalapenos has to be a Yankee
invention, like putting sugar in cornbread - every true Southerner knows
that sugar belongs in iced tea!

Kevin Caldwell (kcaldwell31 at comcast.net)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Oh, Kevin!

Sugar, huh?  Whatever you say ...

> The only way I eat (hominy) grits is with butter and a large spoonful of
> sugar stirred in.

> This business with the cheese and the jalapenos has to be a Yankee
> invention, like putting sugar in cornbread - every true Southerner knows
> that sugar belongs in iced tea!

I see!  ;-)  Don't you notice the teensiest bit of contradiction between
these two statements of yours?

(I rather suspect Tex-Mex influence, by the way.)

Oh, and thanks for the correction about the lye.