LL-L "Phonology" 2004.12.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Dec 4 21:37:00 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.DEC.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.12.02 (13) [E]

> From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> Hi All
>
> Ok, I've done a bit of research, partly on my own,
> and partly from what
> everyone here's been saying and I've got rough
> pronunciations of r figured
> out, and whether it's vocalised or not, for the
> Lowland area. Note not
> necessarily for fun - it does tie in with my
> research, so purely selfish,
> but thought you might be interested. Please correct
> me if anything here's
> wrong.
>
> Netherlands/Belgium
>
> 1 Totally rhotic areas where r is pronounced in all
> positions as [r] (tongue
> tip r) inlude the middle
> swathe of the Dutch speaking area (including Brugge,
> Antwerp, Breda,
> Tilburg, Eindhoven, Helmond, Nijmegen, Arnhem). Also
> possibly Lelystad,
> Hoorn, Alkmaar, Den Helder - not so sure.
>
> 2 Areas where the r is throaty ([R]) and variably
> deleted or vocalised are
> the Randstad (see the earlier definitions) and
> isolated examples in area 1
> such as Bergen op Zoom
[...cut]
-------------------------

thank you, Gary, for clear representing.
I want to make a small note, which is not
contradicting, and -I think- superfluous; but which is
made just for the case of phonology, and maybe will
clarify a bit for our not dutch-speaking friends.

To clarify this I just take one exemple:
'schikken' and 'schrikken'.
In the last word a lot of dutchmen will not pronounce
the 'r', but they make a 'delay' on the r-position; so
the transition to the following 'i' is longer than in
'schikken'. And so, without a 'r', you have two
different words.

 vr.gr.
Theo Homan