LL-L "Image" 2004.12.05 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 5 23:22:19 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2004.12.05 (03) [E]

Frisians, lately.
So what I wrote about challenging them to react was just a remark to help
you with that!
 Oant later, Ingmar

>Reginhard wrote:
>
> Hmmm ... Ingmar, it looks like your holiday train got derailed in the end.
> ;-)
>
> > And to challenge the Frisians to give their reaction, of course!
>
> Yeah, but under a different heading, such as "Image".
>
> What you're talking about may be the case or may be believed in the
> Netherlands.  It sure as heck doesn't apply to this list.  Henno, who has
> been on the List for ages, is a dear friend of us Saxons, and so are the
> other Frisians on the List.  It doesn't really apply to Germany either.
> After all, our friends in Eastern Friesland, Emsland and parts of
Oldenburg

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Image

Ingmar (above):

> So what I wrote about challenging them to react

Or scare them off?  ;-)

> was just a remark to help
> you with that!

And bless your heart for that!

Kumpelmenten,
Reinhard/Ron

---------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Ingmar wrote:
"The Low Saxons in the Eastern Netherlands are generally a bit more easy
going and modest, not such assertive people, the ethnic Frisians like to
speak loud and always want to be 'honest', which in many cases means blunt
or rude in Saxon eyes."

Doesn't every ethno-linguistic group see themselves as "easy going and
modest" compared to their "blunt and rude" neighbours / rivals?

Good point about Stellingwerf Saxons not seeing themselves as Frisian,
though.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.