LL-L "Names" 2004.12.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 8 01:30:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.DEC.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.12.06 (14) [E]

Dear Tom

Subject: LL-L "Names"

> There are plenty of non politically correct terms for the politically
> correct!

Conceded, but here we daintily aver that we should honour them with some
suitably non-confrontational - & of course gender non-specific term
> Where does German come from? And what is the real meaning of Deutch?

I waaaas going to mention  German = 'gar - man' = spearman (Last read in Old
English) & throw in the Irish term for Tuatha (Tuatha De Daanan) The People
of the Goddess Danu; and Gothic 'Theoda' (People / Nation) as well as
Tolkien 'Eotheod' (Horse People) - The Riders of Rohan, as well as the
surviving concept of government or council, 'Diet' (How I loved that as a
kid, 'The Diet of Worms) but Ron onderskepped me - thoroughly - again - Oh,
well.

Yrs All round,
Mark (Apenboontje moesie, indeed!)

----------

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Names

Hello Ron,
just catching up on emails today.
You wrote...
I usually, when accuracy is important, refer to myself as "profoundly
deafened", otherwise just "deaf". Other people can call me what they like, I
won't hear them  :>
Over here in the land of Oz we say we have "Selective" deafness. This means
we "Only hear what we want to hear". A good example is when my lovely wife
asks me loudly to help wash the car and funnily enough I do not hear. Yet!!
I can hear her whispering to her sister  from 20 metres away they are going
to the shops for a fashion spree. Funny thing that!
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au

----------

From: Mike Morgan <Mike.Morgan at mb3.seikyou.ne.jp>

To which, R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> replied:
> Only the Inuit people do (sg. _inuq_ 'person' -> _inuit_ 'persons',
> 'people', _inuqtitut_ for the language), not the Yupik (of Western Alaska
> and Siberia who say _ieupiaq_ for a person and _ieupiatun_ for the
> language).

Actually, it's even more complicated than that. The term "Eskimo" is in fact
"appropriate", in the context of Alaska (NOT Canada or Greenland) to refer
to the combination "Inupiaq and/or Yup'ik (and maybe Aleut?)" - since
calling a Yup'ik "Inuit" (the singular is inuk) is somewhat like calling a
New Zealander "Australian" - and the collocation "Inuipiaq and/or Yup'ik" is
a bit clumsy. (n.b. Inupiaq is the Western, i.e. Alaskan, form of the word).

And in Greenland "Inuit" are actually Kalaaleq (pl. Kalaallit).

And of course, as in many languages, we have the problem that what "inuk"
really means is "person, human being". SO, we are ALL "inuit", isn't it?just
means "human being" (the etymology for the term everywhere),

Mike Morgan
Kobe City University of Foreign Studies
Kobe, Japan
Mike.Morgan at mb3.seikyou.ne.jp