LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.07 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 8 01:29:55 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.DEC.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.06 (01) [E]

My personal highlight
> was a delightful drink based on almonds that I have only tasted that
once -
> sweet, and indescribably enjoyable.
>
> Criostóir.

Aha, that must have been orgeade, slitghtly whitish opaque, right?
I think there's a bit of a story to that drink - I seem to remember that,
because of its resemblance to another fluid it has obtained an ulterior
meaning...... I'll leave it up to you to figure that one out.

Grietje Menger
Scotland

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Thanks for that, Grietje.  I think I understand ... but aside from that, it
sounds just like sweetened almond milk, and recipes do indeed suggest that
(e.g.,
http://www.sranangkukru.net/skphp/gerecht_ophaal.php?id=6&cat=drankjes,
http://users.raketnet.nl/jan-ten-kate/3/62/855.htm).

It seems some people concentrate it, which might explain the consistency you
explained.

The stuff would probably kill me.  I was raised on hazelnuts and almonds
around Christmas time (plus hazelnut icecream in the summer) and am now so
allergic to both of them that I have to carry around an epinephren syringe
...  And I can eat no sweets and baked goods if I'm not totally sure they
had no contacts with hazelnuts and almonds.   :-(

Cheers!