LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.12.08 (02) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 8 17:00:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.DEC.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: A town in the Netherlands

Hello, All. I met a lady on the way back to my dormitory yesterday whose
surname was Van Sambeek. She said that there is a little town in the
Netherlands by that name, but she does not know where it is or anything
about
it. Where is it? How does its dialect sound compared with its closest urban
neighbor?
Graag,
Ben

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.12.07 (03) [E]

Saxon, to Modern Saxon eyes, that surprised me.
And it shows too that Modern Saxon has been profoundly influenced by its
more 'Southern', less Ingveonic cognates,
say Franconian, like OldSax has still 'is' ('es') for 'his', ModSax only
'syn' etc, like Dutch zijn, German sein-. *Ingmar