LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.12.10 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 10 16:49:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.DEC.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: ezinsser at icon.co.za <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.12.09 (01) [E/F/LS]

Hi all!

Yevgeny Ustinovich, apparently the double negative was quite common in
Zeeus, and as I
understand, still exists in some Netherlandic dialect forms.

You might want to read up on the influence of Khoi languages as well as
Malay on
reinforcing the existing double negative in an emerging Afrikaans in the
late 16oo's.

I have (years ago) provided much information on Lowlands and the archives
should still
have the references and current research that's been conducted on this
issue.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

>>The double negative in Afrikaans
>> (...nie...nie) -- could it come from the Middle Dutch or are there >>some
Netherlands
dialects that have this feature (or had it back in >>1700s)?