LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.12.10 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 10 16:49:25 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.DEC.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.12.09 (02) [E]

Dear Heather Ron & All,

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.12.08 (07) [E]

> >It also occurs in compounds like "rosbief".<
>
> Surely this refers to 'roast beef'   la Fransaise????

Seconded to that!

Mind you, it is a witticism I would use, if I were a hippophage & gently
teasing an Englishman, or Frenchman, or the English Tongue.

If 'rosbief' is jocularly applied to choval by those that eat it, it is also
the nickname the French once applied (enviously, I take it) to the British
soldier, on account of his supposed staple.
By the way, some American advocates of goat-meat are apparently promoting a
terminology parallel to the English 'beef - cattle' & 'mutton - sheep' with
'capron - goat'!
Referring to earlier permutations of this thread, during the Republican
siege of Mafeking during the Second Anglo-Boer War of 1899 - 1902, the
British Forces under Baden-Powell were reduced to converting their cavalry
horses to rations, and they bravely called this mess 'chevril', in mockery
of a bottled beef extract still marketed under the name 'Bovril'.
Bovril, on the other hand, took it's name for a 'scientifically advanced
foodstuff' from the 'Vril-ya', a  ruthless scientifically advanced
matriarchy featuring in 'The Coming Race' a science-fictional work of that
turgid author-aristocrat and Victorian politician, Edward George Earle
Lytton Bulwar-Lytton, Lord Lytton (It was a dark and stormy night ---).

Personally, the Horse has for so long been so intimate a partner of
Humanity, in good or evil, weel & woe, like the Dog, that as an Afrikaner I
cannot think of it in terms of food: It is a little too much like
cannibalism.

Yrs,
Mark