LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.10 (02) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 10 16:49:36 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.DEC.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: ezinsser at tiscali.co.za <ezinsser at tiscali.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.09 (04) [E]

Hi all,

Mark, jy klink nou soos my oorle' man se liewe ou ma.
She always looked for pink veal in a country where cattle are exposed to the
elements
rather than lounging in a warm barn under a Schwarzwald Husle!

I have found, (even in the humble Alberton), a variety of halva as well as
good Marzipan.
You have to know where to look, though!

Is one person's 'culture' not another's snobbery?

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

>but it falls somewhat short in matters of 'Kultcha'. Once in my
> meanderings I came accross a supermarket with kilogram blocks of
> marzipan & > halva, in the cold counter with the
cheese!

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2004.12.09 (05) [E]

at Sinterklaas.
And about even some more important things eaten only at Sinterklaas:
_pepernoten_ ("pepper nuts")-hard, small gingerbread cubes that are thrown
around along with
 _suikergoed_ ("sugar things") - hard sweet candies by the Zwarte Piets;
_banketstaven_ sweet pastry letters, and _chocoladeletters_ the first
initial of ones name in chocolate.

So we have:

marsepein [mArs@"pEin]
speculaas  [spe:ky"la:s]
taai-taai    [ta:i"ta:i]
pepernoten ["pe:p at rno:t@(n)]
chocoladeletters [So:ko"la:d at lEt@rs]
banketstaven [bAN"kEtsta:v@(n)]
chocolademunten [So:ko"la:d at mYnt@(n)]
suikergoed ["s9yk at rxut]

all eaten only or mainly at Sinterklaas in The Netherlands.
The traditional drink is chocolademelk / chocomel = hot chocolate.

I know you think enough was said about this, Henry, but I myself am a bit
curious about similar traditions in other regions, for instance Flemish
Belgium.
*Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Ingmar (above):

> taai-taai    [ta:i"ta:i]

What's that, and what's it etymology?

> _pepernoten_ ("pepper nuts")-hard, small gingerbread cubes

In Germany, _Pfeffernüsse_ (Lowlands Saxon _peper-noet(en)_
["pE:p6%n9:t(=n)], thus also literally "pepper nuts") are round, made from a
type of gingebread and glazed, usually white.  They tend not to be wrapped,
so you wouldn't throw them around.  You can buy them in North American
"Continental" stores at this time of the year.