LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.13 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 13 22:47:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.DEC.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.13 (03) [E]

Peter Snepvangers wrote:
"The Aussie kids usually have fruit cake (dying out now)..."

I wasn't aware that Aussie fruit cake was dying out - perhaps in Sydney it
is simply competing with more cosmopolitan fare in the same way saveloys
have been challenged by salami since the 1950s and fish and chips is merely
one of many choices alongside pasta, noodles, and the like. It would be a
shame if traditional Aussie cuisine did give way entirely.

I only mention because there's half an Aussie fruit cake waiting to be eaten
in the kitchen cupboard at home, having had some for my breakfast. I astound
my Australian wife by insisting on eating fruit cake (strictly speaking,
nut, raisin and sultana cake) with custard which, she sneers, "makes it a
pommie pudding".

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Críostóir,

Were you aware that Holiday time fruit cakes are the stuff American jokes
are made of?  There are scores of jokes and humorous stories about fruit
cakes as gift  -- reputedly indestructible and potentially lethal weapons --
being passed from person to person, some of them for years and decades.

For those who don't already know, we are talking about very dense, very
heavy cakes, cakes originally made to last as a winter treat, full of
preserved fruit and in some cases soaked in liquor.  Some of the "riper"
ones do indeed somewhat resemble British Christmas puddings, but at the same
time they also resemble their numerous European Continental cousins.  I am
sure that they used to be great treats for everyone before the age of
refrigeration, sedentary lifestyles and Western affluence.  They are still
great for those who have very sweet teeth and no worries about their weight
and health.

I admit that every Holiday season I receive fruit cakes ordered for me by
three sweet people, fruit cakes I happily receive but will not and may not
eat myself.  (They contain ingredients that are strictly off limits for me,
so I have a good excuse.)  My wife calls them "superfluous calory bombs."
Unwilling to serve them to happless guests who would feel obligated to eat
at least some of it for show, I regularly take them to work where they are
gobbled up in the span of an hour.  So there *are* still people who eat
them.  But then again, they are the same people that would eat bread crusts
or cold, greasy Brussel sprouts if I put them there.

Enjoy!