LL-L "Language politics" 2004.12.14 (06) [E/Irish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 14 17:37:19 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.DEC.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Carty <cartyweb at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.12.13 (02) [E/German]

I could not agree more than with what Reinhard/Ron has to say.

If they dont want our languages, if Europe does not believe our culture or
nations to be real, then its high time we got to hell out of Europe.

No immigrant has disrespect for the Irish. We have Nigerians, Polish,
Serbians, all with no problem learning Irish in our schools, and a few words
in the workplace, and neither do we have any problems learning their
languages.

All the little Serbain I command, I learned from fellow workers. The only
reason their command of Gaelic is not as good is beacuase they find our
pronounciation extremely difficult.

What is more exotic than the dialects that this listserve is about: Lallans,
Ullans, Yola, etc., those who object to langauages and dialects have no
place I can see on this listserve.

Seasons greetings to all. (gaelic: Nollaig Shona Duit!)

Tomas O' Carthaigh
www.teanganua.pro.ie

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Beannú, agus go raibh míle maith agat, a Thomas! Fáilte ar ais!

> those who object to langauages and dialects have no
> place I can see on this listserve.

Yes, but now, now ... Roger has been with us for a long time.  He may have a
different opinion in this particular context, but he is clearly supportive
in other contexts.

Sin sin, níl aon scéal eile agam.
Nollaig faoi shean is faoi mhaise agus athblian shona duit!

Go n-éirí leat!
Reinhard/Ron

     Is fearr an t-imreas ná an t-uaigneas.
     An argument is better than loneliness.
                                                       Irish saying

     Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán.

     There are two versions of every story and twelve versions of every
song.
                                                       Another Irish saying