LL-L "Introductions" 2004.12.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 14 16:50:51 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.DEC.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: James Campbell <james at zolid.com>
Subject: Introduction [E]

I suppose I should introduce myself...

My name is James Campbell. I live in Dorset in the south of England, and I
have had an interest in the Germanic languages for as long as I can
remember. Although my main field of interest is the West Germanic branch, I
have ended up working as a translator from Norwegian to English. It's a long
story, and I won't bore you with it!

But my private interests remain in West Germanic etymology, and in English
and Frisian especially. Although my personal library contains sufficient
works for me to be able to track down the origins of most of the English,
Dutch and High German words in which I am interested, Frisian is more of a
challenge. I would be glad to be able to make contact with Frisian speakers
or experts who may be able to occasionally help with a word or two.
Likewise, I would be happy to assist others in researching such things that
I have access to. In these circles, of course, I wouldn't claim to be an
expert, only an enthusiastic amateur.

Best

James

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
James Campbell                              james at zolid.com  www.zolid.com
Boring, but a cool boring.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Introductions

Hi, James!

Thanks for introducing yourself!  It's great to meet you and to formally
welcome you to the List and its speakers' corner.  I should have welcomed
you right after your first posting this morning, but I wasn't awake enough
to relalize you were a "newbie."

You seem to have actually read the guidelines. At least I can say that your
list etiquette is exemplary already.

As I said recently, I wish we would get more postings about Frisian these
days.  However, I can say that Henno Brandsma delivers the sort of quality
that beats quantity.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L