LL-L "Names" 2004.12.16 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 17 00:24:17 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.DEC.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jo Thys <Jo.Thijs1 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.12.16 (05) [E]

Hi Carl, Ron et all.

> As you know, we had been discussing the name Vicelin (c1090) and Wizelin
> (c950).

Following the discussion Dutch _wezel_ (weasel) always comes up in my mind.
This animal is often confused with a 'hermelijn'  (ermine) with the -elin
affix Ron mentioned. In my (Limb)dialect they 're called _wesselke_ and
_fiske_  (with the -ke diminuative). In winter those 'hermelijnen/fiskes'
are white and their fur is used in the famous bisshop coat.  Maybe Vicelin
was the obvious nickname, not being understood as such when it became
Latinised. Instead of catching rats in Hamelen (!) like his coat suggested
he trapped the youth who where less bound by religious tradition. Their
could  be some truth in the story anyway since not even that long ago mice
and rats were -uitgelezen- (read out) from the fields by priests. (I tried
in my garage once, and it seems to work. You only have to ask politely).

Only a (pleasant) thought,

Groeten,

Jo Thys

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hey, Jo!

> Following the discussion Dutch _wezel_ (weasel) always comes up
> in my mind.

Hmmm ... Don't be fooled by spelling!  When German speakers write <z> they
really mean /ts/, not /z/.  (They can't help it.)

(And in American English at least it's naughty to call someone a weasel.
;-)  )

> Only a (pleasant) thought,

Pleasant thoughts of pleasant guys.  Quite some little etymology you've
cooked up there.  ;-D

Cheers!