LL-L "Accents" 2004.01.04 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 4 19:43:06 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.01.04 (01) [E]

> Michel Verhagen (born and raised in Tilburg)

This reminds me of something funny that happened to me this weekend... we
were busking in the city of Aachen with our medieval reenactment group
(jugglers, musicians, an alchemist, a magician etc. - great fun) when a
group of ladies in their sixties came up to me, and one of them asked about
my mandolin (in German). I replied in Dutch: "You're from Tilburg, aren't
you?" She said yes, was it that obvious? I told her that her German sounded
exactly like that of my Dutch Aunt Ria from Tilburg, and they all laughed -
because her name was Ria, and she was indeed from Tilburg.

They took me for a regular Professor Higgins, but I think a Tilburg accent
is very easy to spot even in German. I used to think my aunt had a very
strong Dutch accent; only when I had learned Dutch myself and could speak it
to her did I realise that she had the same "funny" accent in Dutch.

Gabriele Kahn