LL-L "Syntax" 2004.01.06 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 6 16:34:32 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.FEB.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.Verhagen <M.Verhagen at let.kun.nl>
Subject: Diachrone syntax

Dear Lowlands-L members,

I am studying the introduction of the reflexive form "zich" in Middle Dutch.
At that time one could say:

(1) Hij wast hem.
     He washes him.

Meaning either: He washes himself or He washes somone else.

Later on, the lexeme 'zich' came into the Dutch/Lower Saxonian dialects and
disambiguated the sentence above:

(2) Hij wast hem.
     He washes him.

(3) Hij wast zichzelf.
    He washes himself.

Nowadays, however, some dialects in the Netherlands still have 'older'
forms, like HEMZELF, or just HEM. I was wondering, not just for Dutch, but
for the whole variety of Lowlands Languages, which reflexive/reciprocal
forms do occur nowadays and what would be even more interesting: what
reflexives/reciprocals did occur in earlier times??

Many thanks in advance,

Michel Verhagen