LL-L "Resources" 2004.02.07 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 7 19:30:52 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.FEB.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Resources" [E/S]

Dear Lowlanders,

As some of you will, know, there are a large number of texts in Scots on my
site at http://scotstext.org/

Some of you will also know that I put a lot of work into proofing these to
make sure I'm presenting the best possible Scots. However, this means that a
large number of unproofed texts will have to lie offline and inaccessible to
the world for years while I slowly make my way through all the proofing
before putting each text on the site.

I've decided to solve this problem by creating a new section on the site,
called "Roughs", where I can just store texts as soon as they're scanned,
regardless of quality. However, the scanning is fairly accurate and involves
a lot of preliminary proofing anyway, so these texts are quite usable.

There really is a huge amount of text in Scots here - I don't know if I'll
ever get it all onto the main site, although I have recently been developing
even better proofing tools which might speed up the work considerably in the
near future.

Meanwhile, these "Roughs" can be accessed through the "roughs" item on the
main menu or directly at http://scotstext.org/roughs/

They're not convenient for reading online - if you're very interested in a
text you'll probably want to download it and tidy it up a bit yourself,
although I will probably write a CGI program sometime soon to give better
online presentation.

All text on ScotsteXt is free for any sort of use you want to put it to.

As I said there are far more texts in "Roughs" than there are on the main
part of the site - and plenty more offline that I'll be uploading soon. And
I still have more books on my shelves waiting to be scanned than I have
online - but that's another story!

Here's an example text from the "Roughs" section, J. C. Milne's "I Wadna be
an Orra Loon".

I WADNA BE AN ORRA LOON

_I wadna be an orra loon_
        _For a' the warld's gear!_
_I wadna be an orra loon,_
        _I'd raither stick te lear!_

Pu'in' neeps, wi' hackit han's,
        Scrapin' dubs and sharny kye,
Howkin holes te beery nowt,
        Reddin' midden-drains forbye.

Dichtin' moose-wobs aff the riggin',
        Spittin' wyvers fae ma mou',
Ficherin' wi' a futlie-beelin',
        Scrubbin' hard a skirlin' soo.

Drivin' fat nowt te the market,
        Wi' a breem-buss for a staff,
Blawin', pyoochin', hachin', sneezin',
        Fullin' chaumer-beds o' caff.

Hyowin' lang and dreich neep-dreels,
        Yarkin on ahin' the grieve,
Wishin' I were Mains or Hilly,
        Never rowein' up a sleeve.

Warslin' sair wi' sheaves and thrissles,
        Sweirin' like the crack o' doom,
Sittin' by the kitchie-fire
        Powkin' stobbies fae ma thoom.

Cuttin' green-corn for the milkers,
        Blaudin' a' the gweed scythe-blade,
Till the grieve, gane gyte wi' fury,
        Sweirs he'll droon me in the lade.

Reistit on a load o' rakins
        That gangs deistin' ower the stanes,
Mebbe tummlin' heelster-gowdie,
        Brakkin' baith ma collar-banes.

Booet twa-faul ahin' the deevil,
        Haivin' tatties in a scull,
Wi' ma frostet fingers dirlin'
        Like the shakkers o' a mull.

Bidein' in a cauldrife chaumer
        Faur there's nocht but caun'le-licht,
Wauken't wi' the rottans rattlin'
        In the riggin' o' the nicht.

Loupin' lang afore the mornin',
        Lang afore the scrauchin' cock,
Sittin' in the deid o' winter,
        Steerin' brose at sax o'clock.

_I wadna be an orra loon_
        _For a' the warld's gear!_
_O, I wadna be an orra loon,_
        _I'd raither stick te lear!_

Glossary:

orra loon: odd-job man
baith: both
beery: bury
bidein': staying
blaudin': spoiling
blawin': blowing
booet: bowed
breem-buss: broom-bush (gorse)
caff: chaff
cauldrife: chilly
caun'le-licht: candle-light
chaumer: bedroom, chamber
deistin': going up and down
dichtin': wiping
dirlin': throbbing
dreich: depressing, boring, dull
droon: drown
dubs: puddles
ficherin': fiddling with
forbye: besides
futlie-beelin': whitlow
gane: gone
gangs: goes
gear: money
gweed: good
gyte: mad, daft
hachin': aching (I think?)
hackit: chapped
haivin': throwing
heelster-gowdie: head over heels; topsy-turvy
howkin: picking at
hyowin': hoeing
kye: cattle
lade: millstream