LL-L "Morphology" 2004.02.07 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 8 00:58:02 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.FEB.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.01.06 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L wrote:

> Hi to everybody
>
> About location of Germania in Flanders, I think the main source for this
> hypothesis is the belgian historian Albert Delahaye. I don't know how
> serious this hypothesis is and what to think about it. You can find some
> information in dutch at this site :
>
> http://home-1.concepts.nl/~delahaye/visie.htm
>
> I will be interested to know what you other think about it.
>
> Frd ric Baert

Hello Frederic,

Tacitus describes Germania in this way:

"Germany is separated from the Galli, the Rhaeti, and Pannonii, by the
rivers Rhine and Danube; mountain ranges, or the fear which each feels
for the other, divide it from the Sarmatae and Daci. Elsewhere ocean
girds it, embracing broad peninsulas and islands of unexplored extent,
where certain tribes and kingdoms are newly known to us, revealed by
war. The Rhine springs from a precipitous and inaccessible height of the
Rhaetian Alps, bends slightly westward, and mingles with the Northern
Ocean. The Danube pours down from the gradual and gently rising slope of
Mount Abnoba, and visits many nations, to force its way at last through
six channels into the Pontus; a seventh mouth is lost in marshes."
(Chapter 1 of "Germania".)

Texas University website pictures this description in the following map:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/ancient_germania.jpg

Tacitus' description has Germania bordered by The Rhine, The Danube and
the Atlantic Ocean. This is a bigger area of territory than Flanders.

More to the point, perhaps, is the idea that the Romans were not able to
subdue these folks. Did they have a real influence on their language?

Regards,

Tom
--
Carpe Diem.