LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.02.08 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 8 23:41:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.FEB.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: RVZSTERN at aol.com <RVZSTERN at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.02.07 (04) [D/E]

I always thought that Jews had a very significant impact and presence since
their many centuries of living in the Northern Countries. Antwerp especially
in
addition having been the port to leave for America for most  ( numbers in
the
millions) of the eastern European  Jews who were victims of progroms and
other anti-semitic horrors predating the second World War.

I would hope we would be careful not to call these words jargon in a culture
that may have been mostly Christian but where Jews have had a significant
influence ( and presence ) on the emergence of European civilization.

On the other hand as the result of the Holocaust, mainstream may not have
been exposed anymore to these terms.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Roeliena Van Zanten, Bainbridge Island WA 98110