LL-L "Morphology" 2004.01.10 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 10 18:55:25 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.FEB.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.02.09 (07) [E]

>From: Steven Hanson <hanayatori at sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: Resources
>
>From: "schwambs" <schwambs at slu.edu>
>Subject: Questions from a graduate student
>
>Hello,
>  My name is Sara Schwamb and I recently subscribed to the
>Lowlands-L listserve.  I am currently a PhD student in
>medieval English literature and one of my areas of interest
>is the history of the English language. I would like to
>start learning (or learning about) Old Saxon and Old Frisian
>and am not sure where to start.  The Lowlands homepage
>provides an extensive list of resources, but I was hoping
>you might have a suggestion for where to start.  I also
>wonder if you know how to find out which
>universities/scholars in the lowland regions (or beyond)
>offer research opportunities for graduate or postdoctoral
>work in this field. I have tried looking for this
>information in a variety of ways and have found some
>information, but researching on the internet has proven very
>time consuming. I am hoping that by asking a real live
>person, I might be able to learn more or at least be pointed
>in the right direction. Thank you for your time.
>Sincerely,
>Sara Schwamb
>St. Louis, MO
>
>Hello Sara,
>
>You might find Orrin W. Robinson's Old English and Its Closest Relatives an
>interesting read.  It surveys not only Old English, but also Old Saxon, Old
>Frisian, Old Low Franconian, Old High German, Old Norse, and Gothic.
>
>As a side note, there has been a discussion going on about reflexive and
>possessive forms in "zich/sich/sig" and "sin/sit/sine", etc.  In this very
>same book, I've found that all of the above mentioned languages, except Old
>English, Old Saxon, and to a certain degree, Old Frisian, used forms of
>"zich/sich/sig" and "sin/sit/sine".  Old Frisian used sîn as possessive,
but
>did not have a similar reflexive pronoun.  Old English and Old Saxon had
>neither, and so used forms similar to what another poster mentioned was the
>case in Jutish, eg. "hans/hendes/dens/dets" rather than "sin/sit/sine"
>(sorry, I don't have the original post to quote from).  This suggests to me
>that the "s-forms" for reflexive and possessive are a common Germanic
>feature.
>
>----------
>
>From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
>Subject: Resources
>
>Thanks for the interesting info above, Steven.
>
>Folks, if you want to respond to the last paragraph, please do so under
>"Morphology" in order to keep that topic separate from "Resources."
>
>Thanks.
>
>Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
>Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
>lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
>http://www.lowlands-l.net

Old English did have sín as a possesive pronoun though rare

This from Bosworth and Toller at:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/oe_bosworthtoller_about.html#images

sin; possess, pron. His, her, its, their; suus. This pronoun, which is
regularly used in the cognate dialects, rarely occurs in English prose,
where its place seems to have been early taken by the genitive of he,
heo, hit. I. referring to a sing. masc. :— Gif hæleþa hwilc eagum modes
sines (cf. his modes, Bt. 34, 8 ; Fox 146, 3), Met. 21, 38. Him Hróðíár
gewát tð hofe sinum, Beo. Th. 2477; B. 1236. Harold hýrde holdlice
hærran sinum, Chr. 1065 ; Erl. 198, 13. Man æt ðam ágende sínne willan
æt gebicge, L. Ethb. 82 ; Th. i. 24, 4. Esne wið dryhten gebéte sine
hýd, L. Win. 10; Th. i. 38, 22. II. referring to a sing. fem. :— Bær seó
brimwylf hringa þengel tó hofe sinum, Beo. Th. 3019; B. 1507. Heáfod on
hand ágeaf ludith gingran sínre, Judth. Thw. 23, 21; Jud. 132. Ðæt wif
(wif though neuter is represented by a fem. pron.) ðín heáfod tredeþ mid
fðtum sinum, Cd. Th. 56, 16; Gen. 913. III. referring to a plural :— Dec
Israéla herigaþ, herran sínne (þínne, MS.), 240, 28; Dan. 393. Gebid
sínna sðwhula, Txts. 124, 5. Áhealtedon fram stígum sýnum l fram heora
paðum claudicaverunt a semitis suis. Ps. Lamb. 17, 46. [Goth, seins : 0.
Sax. O. Frs. 0. H. Ger. sin : Icel, sínn (sinn).]

David Barrow.