LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.02.14 (06) [D/E/French]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 14 22:06:47 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.FEB.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Lisa Mays <frau_mays at yahoo.com>
Subject: flamland

Here is a short note to Frank concerning "flamland"...

In searching for information about the early homelands
aof the Dutch-German Mennonites, I was also interested
in the names for the different areas and the dialects
spoken there.  I checked the free encyclopeia
"Wikipedia" and found this answer:

Flemish
>>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Flemish is the collective term used for the Dutch
dialects spoken in Belgium. It is not a separate
language, there are some small differences in
vocabulary and pronunciation, but these are smaller
than between British and American English. It is often
used to distinguish the Dutch spoken in Flanders from
that of the Netherlands.

See also: West Flemish

Flemish is also an adjective referring to Flanders.

I don't know if this is helpful.

Lisa Mays