LL-L "History" 2004.02.15 (09) [E/Latin]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 15 23:06:26 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.FEB.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2004.02.15 (04) [D/E/French]

> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: Names & History
> Let me stop here. The message is becoming too long. Later I will forward
> some data about Germanic and Celtic names in the Limburg area.

Caeser wrote that the Belgians spoke a separate language, but he did not
specify it further

GALLIA EST OMNIS DIVISA IN PARTES TRES QVARVM VNAM INCOLVNT BELGAE ALIAM
AQVITANI TERTIAM QVI IPSORVM LINGVA CELTA NOSTRA GALLI APPELLANTVR

HI OMNES LINGVA INSTITVTIS LEGIBVS INTER SE DIFFERVNT

The Belgians (= Northern France + Belgium + Northern Rheinland) were closest
to the Germans:

HORVM OMNIVM FORTISSIMI SVNT BELGAE PROPTEREA QVOD A CVLTV ATQVE HVMANITATE
PROVINCIAE LONGISSIME ABSVNT MINIMEQVE AD EOS MERCATORES SAEPE COMMEANT
ATQVE EA QVAE AD EFFEMINANDOS ANIMOS PERTINENT IMPORTANT PROXIMISQVE SVNT
GERMANIS QVI TRANS RHENVM INCOLVNT QVIBVSCVM CONTINENTER BELLVM GERVNT

This closiness is quite often interpreted as if they spoke a German
language. Or a German-Celtic mixture.

Robert Nouwen in "Caesar in Gallië", 2003, Leuven, Davidsfonds, ISBN
90-5826-232-4, 235 pp. concludes p. 41-42 that Caesar's book contains
contradictions, that eventually can best be explained by assuming German
immigrants were absorbed in a celtic environment, adapting celtic (gallic)
religious practices etc.

The area around Tongeren (in Belgian Limburg, 30 miles West of Aachen) was
inhabitated by the Eburons at Caesar's time. Their chief was Ambiorix.
(Recently a big quantity of Eburon coins have been found in the area. Most
of them are exposed in the Gallo-Roman museum in Tongeren)

Verifying the roots of these names in:
"Xavier Delamarre, Dictionnaire de la langue gauloise" 2e édition revue et
augmentée, Paris, 2003, Editions Errance, ISBN 2-87772-237-6, 440 pp.

eburos:
some elements, out of about 1 page, translated:
English: yew (tree)
Eburones: those who fight with weapons made from the yew tree.
cf. old Irish ibar, britton evor, welsh efwr for "alder buckthorn"

ambi: (some elements translated from the French)
around, from two sides
ambi- in Ambiorix: fenced territory
cf. old Irish: imbe

rix, riks: king  (some elements translated from the French)
cf. old irish & welsh ri, gen. rig
[Vitually all gallic kings have names ending with rix]

If the Belgians in the area of the actual Belgian Limburg were Germanic,
they were most probably Celtic/Gallic speaking Germans.

Regards,

Roger