LL-L "Help needed" 2004.02.21 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 21 22:11:31 UTC 2004

Sorry it happened again ... RFH
L O W L A N D S - L * 21.FEB.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Help needed

I'm looking for the correct English words for refering to quoted texts or
pictures at the beginning or the end of books.
For defining what I'm looking for, I'm using below my own terminology for
making things understandable (I hope), and I appreciate all suggentions and
corrections.

1. The "front cover" (?) (may contain e.g. a reproduction of an old map).
2. Similarely for the "back cover" (?).

3. For clothbound books, the hard cover often only has some characters
printed on the cloth or leather, but these books are often sold with a
"jacket"; or "wrapper"(??)
This jacket has 5 parts:
3a. the "front part of thec jacket"(?)
3b. the "back part of the jacket"(?)
3c. the "back", "spine" (?) between 3a and 3b (may have heraldic symbols for
history books)
3d. the "flap" (?)  folded to the inside in front of the book and
3e. the "flap" (?) folded to the inside at the bach of the book. These flaps
contain often a brief biography of the author, eventually wit picture.

4. Double-side pages, glued half to the back of the cover, and forming a
first (or last) page of the book with the other half.
4a. in front
4b. at the back.
These large pages are often used for reproducing old maps in books about
local history.

5. The "pre-title" page, giving the tittle in brief, rarely illustrated, a
page on the right, preceeding the title page
6. The "title" page, next page on the right, often illustrated in old books
(often also with part of the text in red in old books)
7. The page at the left of the title page, in modern books often with
edition date, ISBN number, Library of Congess number etc.
8. Eventually a picture page between 6 and 7, with the illustration facing
at the left the titelpage at the right. I would call it the "frontispiece
page"(?);

9. Some books start with an introduction numbered sepately with roman
numerals, or not numbered at all. When not numbered, how does one refer to
these pages when quoting?

10. Expensive books often have a "colofon"(?) page with credentials. This
page is often at the end.
11. French books generally end with a page with the date of printing,
eventually preceeded by several blanc pages.
12. Some books end with several publicity pages (often excerpts from the
publisher's catalog).

13. "loose leaf" illustrations, eventually holded together wit a strip or
jacket at the back of the book (or kept in a separated loose jacket) ,
eventually numbered.
14. Inlays (e.g. with some key terms explained)

Question: when giving the total number of pages of a book (I often do it
with someting like  "xxii + 566 pp", xxii refers to 22 introductory pages,
numbered or not), does one include the pages sub 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 above in
the total number of pages, even when they are not numbered by the publisher?

I never include things listed sub 1 to 4b above in the number of pages.
Except for magazines, which are page-numbered by the publisher, starting at
the front cover. For some books they contain a reproduction though, that
makes them most valuable part of the book.

14. Some books have only their text pages numbered, but include
illustrations on unnumbered pages, bound in the book. How does one refere to
these?
Something like:
"the fift of the eight illustration pages, which are bound between page 32
and 33"?

Thanks for all advice,

Regards,

Roger