LL-L "Resources" 2004.01.02 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 2 20:32:14 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JAN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: C. Jane Driedger <janedriedger at yahoo.ca>
Subject: looking for low german speakers

hi from Canada!
I'm a new member here, and I am looking for some specific information from
anyone who speaks Low German.

I'm doing a masters degree, and my thesis will be about Mennonite
ethnobotany (plants and their uses).  This means I need to trace the low
german language as far back as I can-to Germany, the Netherlands,
Switzerland, Poland, Prussia, the Ukraine, Mexico, South America, and North
America. I'm looking for names of crops and plants, and what plants were
taken with the migrations.

If anyone here speaks low german (I can speak only a little bit), please
feel free to email me to discuss this.
thanks
Jane Driedger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hello, Jane, and a special welcome to you!  I am pleased you did not let
being a "newby" stand in the way of submitting a posting.  I hope you will
get many useful responses.

I am not totally clear about what you mean by "Low German" here, if you are
referring specifically to Mennonite Lowlands Saxon (Mennonite Low German =
"Plautdietsch") or to the entire Lowlands Saxon ("Low German") language of
which the former is only a small part.

If you are referring to the entire language I could possibly help you with
plant names in the North Saxon dialects (the largest of the groups of
dialects of which I speak and write one, though I understand *all* dialects
of the language), and finding the equivalents in Dutch and Frisian should
not be problematic.  I could also direct you to a number of resources about
the history of the language.  To begin with, I would like you to take note
of the following basic resources:

Lowlands-L Beginners' Guide to Offline Language Materials: Low Saxon
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=offline_nds

Lowlands Talk: Low Saxon (Low German):
http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/eng/index.php?page=lowsaxon

Epp, Reuben (1993); _The Story of Low German & Plautdietsch: tracing a
language across the globe_; Hillsboro (USA): The Reader's Press
<psdirect at southwind.net>; ISBN 0-9638494-0-9

Mennonite Low German Dictionary:
http://www.mennolink.org/cgi-bin/dictcgi

Thiessen, Jack (1977); Mennonite Low German Dictionary; Marburg (Germany):
Elwert (in English)

Thiessen, Jack (1999); Mennonitisch-Plautdietsches Wörterbuch - Mennonite
Low German Dictionary; under the auspices of the Hanover Steinbach
Historical Society Inc., Box 1960, Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada, ROA 2A0; 516
pp.; $25.00 Canadian, $18.00 US (including postage and fees, available from
janda at ccco.net or Dr. Jack Thiessen, Box 135, New Bothwell, MB, ROA 1CO,
Canada; (in English, German and Mennonite Low Saxon)

If you need to discuss details, please feel free to contact me at my private
address: sassisch at yahoo.com

Good luck with your research!