LL-L "Technica" 2004.01.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 4 01:55:47 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JAN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LibICU info - Common XML Locale Repository

Apparently many have started to use linicu for dealing with locale
specific info when programming. It is being used more and more in Linux
applications, but also in Java application and in such major
applications as OpenOffice.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/lx

Unfortunately it doesnt support Scots, Low Saxon and other of our
beloved languages. We might help our languages a lot by making sure that
the future programs can access locale info for our languages.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/lx/en/?_=nds_DE
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/lx/en/?_=fy_NL
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/lx/en/?_=li_NL

I have tried gathering some more info about the project.

Collection procedure: - a MUST read if you want to contribute
http://www.openi18n.org/subgroups/lade/locale/process.htm

Specification: - the exact format to create a locale. Maybe it is
enought to supply info and not exactly create the  locale. It might also
be possible to inheriage info from another locale.
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/ldml-spec.html

More info:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/locale/icu/main/
http://www.openi18n.org/subgroups/lade/locale/index.htm

Filing bugs:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/
filing_bug_reports.html

Example:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/diff/main/da_DK.
html

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/locale/icu/main/de.xml?
rev=1.10&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

This might all sound very technical - but maybe there is still some ways
we can contribute so that it will be easier using our languages with
computers in the future.

Cheers, Kenneth