LL-L "Language policies" 2004.01.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 10 20:07:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JAN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2004.01.09 (02) [D/E]

> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: Education
>
> Read on NOS teletekst (Dutch TV Ceefax) today:
>
> -- quoted as copied from the website version
> http://teletekst.nos.nl/tekst/120-02.html
> as this page is on 20040110 at 1:25 a.m. WET:
>
>   120     Teletekst za 10 jan
>  ********************************** 2/3
>     Kort binnenlands nieuws
>
> HEERENVEEN Burgemeester De Jonge van  Heerenveen wil dat
plattelandsscholen
> in Friesland sluiten.Kinderen moeten  dan in grotere plaatsen naar school,
> om de leer[a]chterstand van Friese kinderen  te bestrijden.Die zijn
relatief
> zwak in  lezen en rekenen.
> ---
>
> A proposal by the mayor of Heerenveen to drain kids from rural schools to
> schools in towns, for improving their results.
>
> Has this to do with language, since Dutch rather than Frisian is the
> conversation language in towns?
>
> Regards,
>
> Roger
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language policies
>
> [English below]
>
> Bedankt, Roger. Ik zou graag toevoegen dat in Heerenveen niet alleen
Frisian
> en Nederlands maar ook Nedersaksisch word gebruikt. Zal dit voorstel
> misschien een poging zijn om een ongelegen veeltalige toestand te
> "stroomlijnen"?
>
> Kijk alstublieft eens naar deze document over de etnische toestand in
> Heerenveen:
>
>http://www.fuen.org/pdfs/DOKU_HEERENVEEN.pdf
>
> ***
>
> Thanks, Roger. I would like to add that not only Frisian and Dutch are
used
> in Heerenveen but Lowlands Saxon as well.  Might this proposal constitute
an
> attempt at "streamlining" an inconveniently multilingual situation?
>
> Please also take a look at this document about the ethnic situation in
> Heerenveen:
> http://www.fuen.org/pdfs/DOKU_HEERENVEEN.pdf
>
> Groeten/Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

I doubt it. Heerenveen count as a large place (a town) in Fryslân (third
after Leeuwarden and Drachten)
so the mayor would like the schools in the "city" (it is not, strictly
speaking, a city) to get the pupils from the small villages that are part of
his "gemeente", I suppose.
In fact it is the small villages that are (very dominantly) homogeneous wrt
language and the Heerenveen schools that would be mixed (many households
speak Dutch in larger places, and there
is more chance of immigrants from other areas of Fryslân with their own
language variety. I doubt though that in Heerenveen there would be more than
a few speakers of a Low Saxon variety (Stellingwerfs being the only type
spoken in Fryslân that is anywhere near to it) at all.

Henno Brandsma