LL-L "Phonology" 2004.01.13 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 13 18:08:49 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JAN.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: Origin of "Servia" in dutch

Hi Ron,

a web search for Servia yields:
* http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13732a.htm (a catholic dictionary,
published in 1912).
* http://pub18.ezboard.com/fbalkansserbiaforum (discussion forum, listing
"Srbija / Servia / Serbia" in its title)
If you search for "Servia Balkans" to filter out some websites to filter out
some noise, you'll find quite a lot of sites with the Englisch spelling
"Servia".

So it might not be just a dutch phenomenon to spell it with "v". Maybe it
has an origin deeper in history?

http://47.1911encyclopedia.org/S/SE/SERVIA.htm (another old encyclopedia)
has the interesting remark
<quote>
The English-speaking races alone write this word with a v instead of a b,
Servia for Serbia; a practice resented by the Serbs, as suggesting the
derivation of their name from the Latin Servus.
</quote>

Isn't that funny? 100 years ago, Servia was the usual English word?

When I restrict google to German pages I find
http://digbib.bibliothek.uni-augsburg.de/dda/flugschriften_autoren_d.html
with the passage

<quote>
Vertrag <1718.07.21>: Friedens-Instrument, So zwischen Dem
Allerdurchleuchtigst- und Großmächtigsten ... Herrn Carl dem Sechsten,
Römischen Kaiser ...
Einer: Und ... Herrn Sultan Ahmed Han, Ottomanischen, wie auch in Asien und
Griechenland Kaiser, Ander Seits : den Ein und zwanzigsten July, Eintausend
Siebenhundert und Achtzehen, Nächst Possarowitz, im Königreich Servien
geschlossen ... / Deutschland <Römisch-Deutsches Reich> ; Türkiye. Mitarb.:
Karl
<Römisch-Deutsches Reicch, Kaiser, VI.> ; Achmad <Türkiye, Sultan, III.>* -
Wien :
Schönwetter, 1718 ca.. - 8 Bl.
</quote>

where even in German the name "Servien" was used.

So I wonder what the original name was. Maybe the B in Srbska is a hardened
V?

Regards,

Heiko

----------

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.01.13 (05) [E]

Ron and Gabrielle,
Thanks for the further explanation.  However,
Gabrielle, I speak Spanish and am quite sure (plus I
checked it with Vox and La Real Academia online) that
it is "Serbia" in Spanish (though according to Vox the
adjective "servio" exists as an alternative alongside
"serbio").  However it is true that b/v are the same
sound in Spanish.
Anyway, I appreciate all the information.
Stan