LL-L "Names" 2004.01.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 14 23:31:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JAN.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.01.14 (03) [E]

Ron,

Further to our discussion of the origin of "Serb" and "Serbian/Servian", we
should remember that the English form of "Hrvat" ("Croat") has changed also.
Although I am not entirely sure, the word was first borrowed as "Cravat" -
hence the neck tie term of that name, which was originally imported from the
Balkans. Unfortunately I cannot date this term, or when (indeed if) "Cravat"
was replaced by "Croat" in English.

French has "Croate", German has "Kroat"... are these modern 'corrected'
ethnonyms dating from the post-war era? If not, from which interceding
language did English receive "Cravat"? Surely it should have been "Croat"
all along if other European languages use that term as standard?

(I would imagine the mutation of b > v in Serbia/Servia came about in
Byzantine sources, following the change of beta from a [b] to a [v/B] and in
the same way English has inherited the older dental in "Macedonia" (rather
than "Makethonia" as it is pronounced in modern Greek), so too the perhaps
affected b/v muddle in Serbia/Servia.)

While we're on the subject of mispronounced or just incorrect ethnonyms,
where do the terms "Greek" for the Ellinoi, "Albanian" for the Shqiptare
(originally known in English as Arnauts via Turkish "Arnaut" via Greek
"Arnavatiki" and still known in their own language in Italy as "Arbereshe" a
borrowed ethnonym), "Armenian" for the Hayk or "Finn" for the people of
Suomi come from (yes, I know the term Finn is from "Fenni", the Latin name
of the Sámi; why then was it transferred to their neighbours, those we know
as the Finns today)?

PS: Apologies to any Greeks, Albanians, Armenians or Finns for any
mis-spellings in the above list.

Criostóir.