LL-L "Names" 2004.01.15 (01) [A/E/German/Sorbian]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 15 20:52:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JAN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.01.14 (07) [E]

Feasgar math, a Lowlanders;

Criostair said:
Further to our discussion of the origin of "Serb" and "Serbian/Servian", we
should remember that the English form of "Hrvat" ("Croat") has changed also.
Although I am not entirely sure, the word was first borrowed as "Cravat" -
hence the neck tie term of that name, which was originally imported from the
Balkans. Unfortunately I cannot date this term, or when (indeed if) "Cravat"
was replaced by "Croat" in English.

I think that Cravat for neck tie comes from French cravate, tie. Though I'm
not sure and will
check if there's reason to believe otherwise. Perhaps cravate came from
Croatian Hrvat?

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Og mhic Sheumais

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>

Feasgar math, a Lowlanders;

Alright, I looked it up anyway. The word 'Croat' comes from New Latin
'Croata' which comes from
Croatian 'Hrvat'. 'Cravat' comes from French 'Cravate' which comes from
'Hrvat'. Now the question is: Why were ties named after Croatians?

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Og mhic Sheumais