LL-L "Etymology" 2004.01.18 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 19 00:29:00 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JAN.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: kcaldwell31 at comcast.net <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.01.18 (01) [E]

<This Old Saxon _fano_ appears to correspond to Old English _fana_ (as well
<as Old German _fano_, Old Norse _fani_ and Gothic _fana_, from Old Germanic
<*_fanon_). Its Modern English survival is "vane," nowadays mostly appearing
<in "weathervane," which apparently began as a piece of cloth.

The word also survives in Modern English as "fanion," a small flag for
marking a position, as used by surveyors et al., as well as the
ecclesiastical term "fanon," a shoulder cape worn by the Pope when
celebrating a solemn pontifical Mass.

Kevin Caldwell