LL-L "Literature" 2004.01.22 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 22 23:36:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JAN.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Literature"

> Nick saunders (rockycocktail at hotmail.com, from Uk) rote:
>
> Hi there please could you tell me if Oor Wullie was written in
> Lallan Scots?
> I\'m doing an extensive project on Oor Wullie for university.

Oor Wullie is written in Scots, though with a fair admixture
of English as a rule. This cartoon appears along with "The
Broons" in the Scottish newspaper "The Sunday Post", and has
done for as long as even I can remember!

"Oor Wullie" and "The Broons" were written by Dudley D. Watkins,
who died in the 1960's. Watkins was English and in the earliest
cartoons the Scots can be a bit dubious but eventually he was
able to write in Scots just as a Scots person might - albeit
with the same sort of over-anglicisation that Scots writers tend
to commit due to not getting the language at school.

Watkins also wrote "Desperate Dan" and "Lord Snooty" (both in English).

So that everybody can see what we're talking about, I've set up
a temporary scan of a Dudley D. Watkins episode of "Oor Wullie"
at http://sandyfleemin.org/misc/oor_wullie.gif (about 209 Kb).

If you're using an up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, remember
to click on the button at the bottom right of the image to render it
full-size.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/