LL-L "Language policies" 2004.01.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 24 21:41:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JAN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: regional languages

Ron and Gang
Okay, technically this isn't lowlands, but the following note and linked
article appeared on
Taalpost, a Dutch site, so I'm going to try to sneak this one under the
wire...
It has to do with the retreat of Nynorsk, one of Norway's two official
languages.  While I find the
Dutch article to be quite an oversimplification of the situation (in fact,
so superficial as almost to be
worthy of an American newspaper, except no American paper would cover this),
I think the situation is relevant to us.
Also, by the way, when it came out in the Norwegian press earlier this
month, I came across an article of reactions by schoolkids in Oslo
expressing their opinion about having to learn Nynorsk (which is not their
language).  If anyone is interested in this article, please email me
personally and I'll send it to you as a word document, already scanned for
viruses.
Here's the link:
De stad Oslo ontketent een taalstrijd door een van de twee varianten van het
Noors niet langer te onderwijzen.
Bron: De Standaard via Van Dale Taalweb,
<http://www.onzetaal.nl/tp/?tp=2321>.
Ha det (as our non-Nynorsk speakers would say),
Stan