LL-L "Semantics" 2004.01.26 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 27 01:50:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JAN.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2004.01.26 (06) [E]

Feasgar math, a Lowlanders;

Said Ron:
It looks like Scots _dominie_ for 'schoolmaster' is another example.  It
comes from a time when "clergyman" ("priest," "minister," "parson," etc.)
and "schoolmaster" where synonymous.  Note Dutch and Afrikaans _dominee_
'clergyman' (< Latin _domine_, vocative of _dominus_ 'lord', 'sir').

I don't know quite how to pronounce _dominie_ and _dominee_, but are you
sure they come from
_domine_? Could they perhaps come from a phrase, something like _servus_ or
_vir_ or _homo
Domini_? Big D meaning of course Dominus Deus. Just a thought.

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais

----------

From: R. F. Hahn lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Subject: Semantics

Uilleam,

> but are you sure they come from _domine_?

I can't vouch for it, but I went by a couple of dictionaries.

I assume the pronunciation is ['dOmIni].

I wrote:

> The times of day:
>
> Ucht: early morning, time of dusk (lost in many dialects; cf. Dutch
> _ochtend_, Afrikaans _oggend_)
>
> Morgen: morning (cf. Dutch _morgen_, Afrikaans _môre_, W.Friesian _moarn_,
> English "morning," Scots _mornin_)
>
> Middag [we've discussed it]
>
> Namiddag [this one too]
>
> Avend: evening (cf. Dutch _avond_, Afrikaans _aand_, W.Frisian _jûn_,
> English "even(ing)," Scots _een(in)_)

I forgot to mention:

Vörmiddag ("fore-midday" = "forenoon"): the time between 9 or 10 a.m. and
noon.

Also:

Nacht: 'night' -- which begins when the average person goes to bed, not in
the evening (_Avend_) as in English ('tonight' etc.).