LL-L "Etymology" 2004.01.26 (09) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 27 01:38:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JAN.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Lisa Mays <frau_mays at yahoo.com>
Subject: etymology

Dear Lowland Language Enthusiasts,

I am a University of Kansas PhD. candidate working on
a dissertation concerning Old Colonists in Kansas.  In
my attempts to learn Plautdietsch, I've come across
the word "Unkars," meaning a light evening meal...

Since you have recently discussed some of the lexical
meanings and etymology of words like "Meddag," which
in several Germanic languages could be used to
describe the time of day as well as a meal, I was
wondering if I could get some input as to the possible
origin of the word "Unkars"?

Vielmols Dankscheen
Lisa Mays

From: R. F. Hahn lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

Wellkom mank de Lowlands-L-Schwautsers, Lisa!  Ekj sie schaftech, daut Du
uck waut to froage oda saje hast.

I have never come across the word _Unkars_ before.  Since we are talking
about Mennonite Lowlands Saxon (Low German), I wonder if the answer is found
in borrowing from a Slavic or, perhaps more likely, Baltic language
varieties.  This may be something worth exploring.