LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.01 (03) [E/Gaelic]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 1 17:42:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.01 (01) [E]

Latha math, a Lowlanders:

I've just finished reading a book called "Spoken Here" by Mark Abley. As
many of you probably know, it's about endangered languages and discusses
some problems with bringing them out of the emergency room and back home, if
you'll allow me that metaphor. He suggests as one of the problems to be
overcome is not to make people speak the language- not to institutionalize
it as the Irish government has unfortunately done to Irish Gaelic -but to
make them want to speak it. This is the hard part, finding a way to make the
language trendy and popular. You've got to get radio, TV, websites - you
have to modernize the language. All languages need this. And unfortunately,
in this globalized world (sounds redundant, doesn't it?) it's hard to get
corporations to do translate what's necessary.
One solution is open-source software. It's a beautiful idea, and any small
language can translate an open-source operating system. It could be done for
any of the Lowlands languages, any language that can write in the Latin
alphabet, and many that can't.
Anyway, that's the gist of what I'm getting from skimming these e-mails -
that you're discussing why people won't speak their languages. It's because
of a combination of factors, some too local to be spoken of broadly. But I
think it's a thinking their language is insignificant and unhelpful: that's
why parents won't pass it down to their children.

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Ã’g mhic Sheumais

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

'S math sin!  Mòran taing, a Uilleam!

It might be helpful to assumedly many of our members if you or someone else
(perhaps our open-source champion Kenneth) briefly explained what
"open-source software" is, also what its potentials are.

Mar sin leibh an drà sda!