LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.01 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 1 19:21:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUL.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.01 (03) [E/Gaelic]

Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais wrote:

> I've just finished reading a book called "Spoken Here" by Mark Abley. As
> many of you probably know, it's about endangered languages and discusses
> some problems with bringing them out of the emergency room and back home,
if
> you'll allow me that metaphor. He suggests as one of the problems to be
> overcome is not to make people speak the language- not to institutionalize
> it as the Irish government has unfortunately done to Irish Gaelic -but to
> make them want to speak it. This is the hard part, finding a way to make
the
> language trendy and popular. You've got to get radio, TV, websites - you
> have to modernize the language. All languages need this. And
unfortunately,
> in this globalized world (sounds redundant, doesn't it?) it's hard to get
> corporations to do translate what's necessary.
> One solution is open-source software. It's a beautiful idea, and any small
> language can translate an open-source operating system. It could be done
for
> any of the Lowlands languages, any language that can write in the Latin
> alphabet, and many that can't.
> Anyway, that's the gist of what I'm getting from skimming these e-mails -
> that you're discussing why people won't speak their languages. It's
because
> of a combination of factors, some too local to be spoken of broadly. But I
> think it's a thinking their language is insignificant and unhelpful:
that's
> why parents won't pass it down to their children.

It helps if the language is part of everyday life. If it is confined to the
home and close acquaintances the 'power' langaugae soon replaces it. For
example Gaelic in the highlands and islands. I have no Gaelic. If I decided
to move to A Gaelic speaking area I could get by fine without it. All
institutions, workplaces etc. operate in English. I would be under no
compulsion to acquire Gaelic. As an outsider the locals are obliged to
occomodate me linquistically - not the reverse. Interesting that the
Government accepts Gaelic language proficiency as an alternative to English
when aliens are granted citizenship. Why not demand is a requirement to move
to (or remain in) Gaelic speaking areas - Economic arguments no doubt make
that one a non-starter. (Gaelic is off-list I'm juist using it as an example
of Lesser-used vs power language)

Andy Eagle