LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.01 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 8 22:29:43 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUL.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.07.07 (05) [E]

> > On the isle of Goeree-Overflakkee, a 'hil' is one of the words for a
farm.
> > bet this goes back to the days when houses, farmhouses, etc. where built
> on
> > a mound for protection against floodings.
>
> In our family the word for these artificial mounds is 'terp - terpen'
> Is there nothing in a Lowlands Language covering this word?
>
> Yrs,
> Mark

To get to the word "terp": this actually doesn't mean "hill" or "artificial
mount" originally, although
it has come to mean this in Dutch, eg.
The word comes from Old Frisian, where "terp" is the regular development of
a Germanic
stem *thurpi, from which also derives Dutch "dorp", German "Dorf", older
English -thorp (in place names only nowadays, maybe in dialects as well?)
etc, = "village". this is probably due to the fact that in Frisian areas a
village had such a mount with a church on it, very prominently in its
centre. So the mount came to be known as "village". In modern West Frisian
we even borrowed the Dutch word "dorp" (as doarp [dwarp]), and only use
"terp" in the artificial mount meaning only.
In North Frisian the word is still used (saarep/taarep on Amrum/Feer resp.
eg.) in the village meaning.

Regards,

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Good one, as usual, Henno!

> The word comes from Old Frisian, where "terp" is the regular development
of
> a Germanic
> stem *thurpi, from which also derives Dutch "dorp", German "Dorf", older
> English -thorp (in place names only nowadays, maybe in dialects as well?)
> etc, = "village". this is probably due to the fact that in Frisian areas a
> village had such a mount with a church on it, very prominently in its
> centre. So the mount came to be known as "village". In modern West Frisian
> we even borrowed the Dutch word "dorp" (as doarp [dwarp]), and only use
> "terp" in the artificial mount meaning only.

In most Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects of the North it's _dörp_,
though some have _dorp_.

In Denmark and in the partly Jutish-speaking (nowadays Danish-speaking) and
partly LS-speaking (and now German-speaking) areas of Germany you find place
place names ending with _-torp_ or (metathesized) _(s)trup_, _-drup_ and
_-rup_; e.g., Brædstrup, Vamdrup, Otterup, Dollerup, Hörup, Sörup, Wanderup.

There's also metatheized _-throp_ in England.

> In North Frisian the word is still used (saarep/taarep on Amrum/Feer resp.
> eg.) in the village meaning.

th (þ) > North Frisian /s/