LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.10 (03) [A/E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 10 17:08:22 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.01 (05) [E]

Dear Gavin,

LL-L "Etymology"

> The number of Afrikaans and German words using the element could be to do
> with their lack of direct Latinate loans (as opposed to calques)

You have me there, only I would rather say, on behalf of Afrikaans at least,
'scorn' of (unnecessary Latinate constructions) In Afrikaans, native
elements, is the way to go.

Same to yourself,
Mark
Dear Mark,

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"
Re: on end

> I had always thought it mean something along the lines of "end to end."
For
> example, "He reads mystery novels for hours on end."  I'm visualizing
> several hours lined up end "on end" (one after the other) with the meaning
> of "consecutively."

What tickles me is the 'on' which I would like to read as 'un-' or as in
Afrikaans, 'on-'

Yrs,
Mark