LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.07.10 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 10 17:19:03 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUL.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.07.01 (04) [E]

Dear Glenn,

Subject: Lexicon

> 'Haugh', I think, is pronounced like your 'hof' but
> there again I'm no linguist! Interesting, there seem
> to be some similarities between the languages.

I agree, & not merely the language, but the people too.
Herewith a short list of Old Afrikaans Families: McDonald, Cambell, Murray,
Barnard, McAlpine, Gordon, Grant, Greeen (three 'e's - it used to be
McGregor), Turner (it used to be Lamont). There is even a family that
supposes it was Scots, but which I happen to have learned, In Situ, came
from immediately south of the Border - Starbuck: Must have eaten a lot of
Scottish beef though. The family is still in the cattle business.
Incidentally, many Scots incomers to this day seem to drift to the Afrikaans
side of the community. I put it down to the ease with which they, (unlike
Pommies) can pick up the language.

I have read that many from Scotland and the Border took service under the
Dutch East India Company, & it didn't end there. Lord Charles Somerset,
sometime Governor of the Cape,  tried to 'Anglicise' the Afrikaner, & to
this purpose imported a body of Scots Predicants, by their 'Covenanter'
persuasion a community highly respected in my country. They forthwith became
Afrikaans. Scratch that plan!

> Another topograpical term  in my part of the world is
> 'hoe', as in my home town Prudhoe 'the hill or
> heights' of Prudda's people or it could mean 'Proud'
> (Prood in Northumbrian) heights'. Hoe is normally an
> elevation on a spur of a river apparently.

We would follow that. We pronounce the comparative 'higher' as 'hu:@r' -
spelt 'hoër' the word we use is 'hoogte' as in 'Voortrekkerhoogte -
Voortrekker Heights'.

Yrs Sincerely,
Mark

----------

From: yasuji <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp>
Subject: Plattdeutsch

Hallo leve Plattsnacker/erin,
as ik in düsse April Sleswig-Holsteen besökt heff, heff ik een Woort
"snacken" vun mien Frünnen hört. Jo is een hoochdüütsche Wort "snacken".
Brukt man "snacken" oft op Hoochdüütsch? Mien Platt is nich ganz goot. Ik
haap, Se all köönt verstahn, wt ik schreven heff.

Hartlich,

Yasuji Waki, ut Japan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Beste Yasuji,

> Mien Platt is nich ganz goot. Ik
> haap, Se all köönt verstahn, wt ik schreven heff.

Ik kann dat prima verstahn.

Ik kan dat prima verstaan.

"Snacken" is keen "hooch"-düütschet Woort, man över dat Missingsch (ook
_snacken_) hebbt 'n Barg noorddüütsche Dialekten vun 't Düytsche dat Woord
as _schnacken_ övernahmen.

"Snakken" is keyn "Hoog"-Düytschet wourd, man över dat Missingsch (ook
_snakken_) hebt 'n barg Nourddüütsche dialekten vun 't Düytsche dat wourd as
_schnacken_ övernamen.

Yasuji asked if the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) verb _snakken_ (<snacken>),
used in North Saxon dialects to mean 'talk', 'speak', 'chat', etc., is used
in German as well.  I responded by saying that it is not a "High"-German
word but is used as a loanword (_schnacken_) in North German dialects of
German, loaned via Missingsch, German dialects with LS substrates.

Kumpelmenten,