LL-L "Name the language" 2004.07.11 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 11 22:25:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUL.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Name the language" 2004.07.10 (01) [E]

Hi, Pat!
Subject: LL-L "Name the language"

> I'm not sure whether the way I'm taking this thread is within the scope
> of LL-L:
> However, I don't think that anyone would argue that Tolkien, born in
Bloemfontain,
> ancestrally from the West Midlands and Germany, is a Lowlands Author.

I stand with you that he was not a Lowands Languages 'author', to any
extant, but he was manifestly a 'scholar', not merely Lowlands Languages,
but of the Teutonic languages as a whole. The University, on awarding him
their honour, were at some pains (because of the publicity his fiction had
gathered to him) that they were recognising his Scholarship, not his 'Lord
of the Rings'.

This doesn't mean he didn't have fun in any other language. While in the
English department at Leeds, as a member of the 'Viking Club', he & E V
Gordon met with the undergraduates to drink large quantities of beer, read
the sagas, translate Nursary Rhymes into Old English, lampoon fellows &
students, & compose comic songs in Old Norse. He did the same with the
'Inklings' & the 'Kolbìtar' in Oxford. (J R R TOLKIEN: A Biography:
H.Carpenter).

> I wonder what he means by 'mode'.  If he means 'language', then he's right

Yes: Well, for Tolkien Language had a broader application than many, so in
his case I'd stick with mode.

Yrs Sincerely,
Mark